Wednesday 24 September 2014

Being positive

Hey guys,


So I thought I'd just talk briefly about positivity, and happy thinking. Sometimes, as I'm well aware of myself, thinking of the positives is way easier said than done. Sometimes it's just too easy to get held down with all the negative thoughts that start weighing down heavy on you, and just let them take over and get stuck in this rut. That itself is a hard habit to break. 

Personally, it's very easy for me to pay more attention to the negatives. Whether that's the anxiety and depression, or just me in general I don't know. But from quite a young age I've had a fairly cynical and negative outlook on things. I'm also probably one of the most indecisive people you'll meet, and it's because while I'm standing there trying to make a decision on something I'll be trying to look at all the pros and cons of the decision I'm about to make in my mind, looking at every possible situation, the results of my decision, just completely over analysing it in my head. And it drives me mad, as well as others around me I've noticed. I've had this fear of regretting my decisions for as long as I can remember, so it takes me a while to make my mind up. Saying that, in the situations that I'm not being rushed for a decision, it's actually helped me to be thinking of or writing down the pros and cons.Visually being able to see that there could be a good outcome in the situation can be comforting to me, which even if it's only slightly, can make me feel more positive. 

Something that's important is not to let the negative people that you'll come into contact with affect you or change you. Which is again, easier said than done. I've not had a great history of making friends with people that support me and are there for me in the way that I am for them, it's often felt too one sided and I've just been put down and left out of things, which has just made those negative thoughts get worse over time. My contact with those people seemed to just end. And I'm glad it did really. I'd rather have no friends than fake friends. Try not to let those people have any hold over you, if they're not going to accept you for being you and support you then they're not worth it, and they'll only hold you back. You need to do what's best for you. 

When you're in that bad place, try to focus on the things that make you happy. Which can be anything at all, hobbies, music, friends and family, something you're looking forward to etc. just whatever  makes you happiest. Here are some suggestions you could try;


~ Reading positive quotes; They really could change your thoughts in that moment. 
~ Music; Listen to your favourite song, or something motivational and feel good. 
~ List five things that you're grateful for or happy about in your life right now. 
~ Accept the negative thoughts if you can, and try to think of solutions for them. 
~ Be expressive; Being creative, writing, drawing, anything to get those feelings out. 
~ Understand that no one is perfect; Don't dwell on mistakes you think you've made. 
~ Set goals for yourself; Things you want to accomplish, make future plans etc. 
~ Distract yourself; Talk to someone, update your blog, be around positive people. 
~ Spend time with family and friends if you're close, being around my younger cousins can help me. 
~ At a time when you're feeling more positive, try expanding on it by writing down how you're feeling. If there's any particular reason for you feeling more positive, single words describing how you feel etc. that way, the next time you're feeling low, you can look back at it to remind yourself that this feeling doesn't last, and that it is possible for you to be happy. 

I've pretty much covered what helps me to feel more positive and what distracts me in the "My distractions" Update, so feel free to have a look at that if you're interested. But it's usually things like music, films and tv shows, art, family etc. 

I hope this was helpful to you guys, just remember that things aren't always as bad as they seem in the moment. Just because you're going through a bad time now and are experiencing some negative feelings, doesn't mean it's going to last forever. 

A lot of people are going through the same things, you're not as alone as you may think ♡












"The only way to achieve the impossible, is to believe it is possible.”


~ Charles 



No comments:

Post a Comment